Accommodations | Maps | Photos | Shopping | Transportations
Krabi is a southern province on Thailand's Andaman seaboard
with perhaps the country's oldest history of continued
settlement. After dating stone tools, ancient colored pictures,
beads, pottery and skeletal remains found in the province's
many cliffs and caves, it is thought that Krabi has been
home to homo sapiens since the period 25,000 - 35,000 B.C.
In recorded times it was called the 'Ban Thai Samor',
and was one of twelve towns that used, before people were
widely literate, the monkey for their standard. At that
time, c. 1200 A.D., Krabi was tributary to the Kingdom
of Ligor, a city on the Kra Peninsula's east coast better
known today as Nakhon Si Thammarat.
At the start of the Rattanakosin period, about 200 years
ago, when the capital was finally settled at Bangkok, an
elephant kraal was established in Krabi by order of Chao
Phraya Nakorn (Noi), the governor of Nakhon Si Thammarat,
which was by then a part of the Thai Kingdom. He sent his
vizier, the Phra Palad, to oversee this task, which was
to ensure a regular supply of elephants for the larger town.
So followers many emigrated in the steps of the Phra Palad
that soon Krabi had a large community in three different
Pakasai, Khlong Pon, and Pak Lao. In 1872, King Chulalongkorn
graciously elevated these to town status, called Krabi,
a word that preserves in its meaning the monkey symbolism
of the old standard. The town's first governor was Luang
Thep Sena, though it continued a while as a dependency of
Nakhon Si Thammarat.
This was changed in 1875, when Krabi was raised to a fourth-level
town in the old system of Thai government. Administrators
then reported directly to the central government in Bangkok,
and Krabi's history as a unique entity separated from
the other provinces, had begun.
During the present reign, the corps of civil servants, the
merchants, and the population generally of Krabi and
nearby provinces have together organized construction of
a royal residence at Laem Hang Nak Cape for presentation
to His Majesty the King. This lies thirty kilometers to
the west of Krabi Town on the Andaman coast.
provided by T.A.T (Tourism Authority of Thailand)